This form should only be used to report problems when:
  • the problem is not an emergency. If your issue is an emergency, please use the telephone and dial 911.
  • the service address is in an unincorporated area of the County (problems within city boundaries should be reported to the appropriate city)
  • you have already tried unsuccessfully to resolve the problem by contacting the cable provider
  • the problem is a cable service issue (for non-service-related issues such as payments, contact your cable provider directly using the contact information on your bill)


*Please select your cable company
*Nature of Complaint: (please be as detailed as possible)
Date(s) Occurred:

Your Information

*First Name:
*Last Name:
*ZIP Code:
Business Name:
*E-mail Address:
*Daytime Phone:
Cell Phone: