Kern County Film Permit Application
A Kern County permit is required for all activities including those on incorporated, private, state and federal properties. Allow three working days from receipt of materials for processing. Additional time may be required for projects involving multiple jurisdictions or special requests.
How to Fill Out the Permit Application
All fields are required and relate solely to the production company. Permit service information should be entered ONLY in the space provided.
If prep, strike or shooting dates are not consecutive, explain in the "comments" field of the application. Include only dates during which on-site activity will take place.
Projects of any length on behalf of an accredited school are considered student films. News magazines or documentaries produced for specific television outlets should be listed as broadcast/cable. Please note second unit work where applicable.
Kern County does not issue general activity permits. Specific locations and dates of activity are required. List each location separately using addresses for private property and mileage ranges or cross streets for roads. No mile markers or GPS coordinates, please. Include prep and shoot date(s) for each location.
Include a brief description of the planned activity. Example: "Exterior dialogue on private property, no stunts or pyrotechnics." For multiple locations, denote "Location 1", "Location 2", etc.
Additional Permits
  • Projects involving stunts and pyrotechnics, including simulated gunfire, and some other projects may require a permit and/or fire safety officer from the Kern County Fire Department. After you submit your film permit application, you will be sent a questionnaire to fill out to determine if your project requires a fire permit. If a fire permit is required, allow at least five working days for processing.
  • Projects on county roads also require a valid Kern County Roads Permit (see related section on Permit Menu)
  • The incorporated cities (Arvin, Bakersfield, California City, Delano, Maricopa, McFarland, Ridgecrest, Shafter, Taft, Tehachapi, Wasco) have additional requirements and insurance for filming within civic boundaries
  • State and federal properties also have additional requirements and insurance for filming
  • Department of Defense permission is required to film at Edwards Air Force Base (including Rogers Dry Lake) and China Lake Naval Air Weapons Center.
A valid certificate of insurance is required at the time of application. Minimum requirement: $1 million bodily injury and general liability coverage for all elements of the activity. Certificates remain on file and are valid until canceled or expired.
Note Additional Insured As: County of Kern, its Officers, Agents and Employees
1115 Truxtun Avenue
Bakersfield, CA 93301
Insurance certificates should be submitted via e-mail to
Safety Requirements
Production companies must provide safety personnel for projects involving stunts, pyrotechnics or special effects. Law requires the provider be authorized to provide emergency transport services in Kern County. For approved services, contact Kern County Emergency Medical Services at (661) 868-5200. Contract personnel MAY NOT transport patients.
Stunts and pyrotechnics, including simulated gunfire, may require a permit and/or fire safety officer from the Kern County Fire Department - see details under Additional Permits.
Location Credit
The Kern County Film Commission requests the phrase "Filmed in Kern County, California" or acknowledgement of the "Kern County Film Commission" in location credits, where applicable.
  I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understand the above information